Welcome Message from The Head of Department- Surveying And Geoinformatics
Welcome to the web portal of the Department of Surveying and Geoinformatics at the University of Calabar. where students are taught and inspired to learn and acquire knowledge, skill and therefore, develop experience on the art, science, technology, and professional experience on how to determine the terrestrial or three-dimensional positioning, spatial distribution, and angles between points using hybrid technology derived from different disciplines including geographic information system, remote sensing, unmanned aerials systems, cartography, geographic cadaster, and so on.
The Department of Surveying and Geoinformatics offers students a double major Bachelor of Science degree for professional relevance and applications in diverse sustainable development initiatives, from inception, planning, implementation, reporting, and forecast in all spheres of human endeavors. The Department provides the enabling environment for practical teaching and learning of skill sets and a knowledge base to develop professionals in land surveying, hydrographic surveying, geodesy, photogrammetry, remote sensing, cartography, and geospatial information measurement.
The Department is located in a very serene environment that stimulates learning and knowledge acquisition. We are blessed with a cream of highly motivated, highly qualified, highly trained, highly experienced, friendly academic, administrative, and technical staff, who are always ready to teach and inspire students to learn, acquire skills and knowledge, and consequently, develop an experience that will enable them to become key players after graduation. We have assembled a market-driven set of courses and curricula that enable students to be trained with the latest techniques and procedures in the field. The laboratories are equipped with the latest equipment in the field.
You can contact the Department of Surveying and Geoinformatics onsite at the Faculty of Environmental Sciences Complex, University of Calabar Main Campus, reach us by email at [email protected], or call +2348037236628.
Thank you for making time to visit our web portal.
Surv. Getrude N. Njar, FNIS, Ph.D, Jp
Head of Department
|Course Codes||Course Titles||Credit Hours|
Mission / Vision / Philosophy / Objective
To produce high quality graduates and scholars in focal areas of learning with theoretical,practical and entepreneurial skills for the world of work in conducive environment through quality research and teaching.
To be a centre of excellence producing globally competitive graduates and contributing significantly to development through research.
The philosophy of the program is to expose students to the essential academic and practical training needed to make him/her grow into full and well-qualified professional who is abreast with technological advancements in the field of Surveying and Mapping and to inculcate in the student Entrepreneurial and managerial skills geared towards self-employment.
The program is intended to
- produce Surveyors or Geoinformatics experts with sound knowledge in the theory and practice of the key areas of the discipline including land surveying, hydrographic surveying, geodesy, photogrammetry and remote sensing, cartography, and geospatial information management.
- ensure adequate knowledge of mathematics, physics, computer science, environmental management and protection, law, finance, and management studies need by surveyors.
- provide students with a broad and balanced foundation in theoretical and practical skills.
- develop in students the ability to apply theoretical and practical knowledge of surveying and geoinformatics in solving environmental problems.
- provide students with a knowledge and skills base from which they can proceed to further studies in the specialized areas related to the study of Surveying and Geoinformatics.
Senate of the University of Calabar approved the starting of a B. Sc. degree program in Survey and Geoinformatics in 2018/2019 academic session. The program is domiciled in the Faculty of Environmental Sciences. Academic programs started in 2019/2020 Session after a successful Resource Verification visit by the National Universities Commission.