Research and Quality Assurance
Director: Prof. Austin .I. Obiekezie
In 2008, the then Vice chancellor, Prof. Okon Bassey Asuquo established the Directorate of Research with the mandate to coordinate, supervise and monitor research activities in the University. The founding Director, Prof. Emmanuel Ezedinachi was assisted by Prof. Enebong and Prof. Obiekezie as Deputy Directors. As one of its primary functions on inception was the execution of the World Bank Assisted STEP-B Project aimed at promoting and fostering research activity within the University including the establishment of much need research Infrastructure
In 2015, the mandate of the Directorate was expanded by the incoming Prof. Zana Akpagu administration by the addition of Quality Assurance mandate/ portfolio to generate the name Directorate of Research and Quality Assurance with Prof. Austin Obiekezie as Director and Prof. Alice Asim and Dr. Ajimase as Deputy Directors for Quality Assurance and for Research respectively. The Quality Assurance component of the Directorate duties is aimed at ensuring that quality graduates are produced in the University. Functions of the Directorate include:
- Management of external and internal research grant awards
- Liaison between grantees and grantors
- Monitoring and reporting on the outcome of research within the University on behalf of the University management
- Documentation of research conducted within the University and production of periodical University– wide research reports.
- Conduct of Quality Assurance duties including Student Course Evaluation
The overall mission of the Directorate is to encourage ethical research in the University as means of Producing globally competitive staff and students.
The Directorate operates 8 Units for the discharge of her functions namely:
- Research and Development (R & D)
- Research Documentation and Monitoring
- Media and Research Communication
- Research Uptake Unit
- Central Laboratory
- Equipment Maintenance and Development Unit
- Research Quality Assurance
- Quality Assurance Unit
The Directorate of Research and Quality Assurance (DoRQA) shall serve as the coordinating unit for research in the University. The Directorate is mandated to foster and promote all research endeavours necessary to enhance the research status of the University. The Directorate shall coordinate collation, scientific appraisal, processing and submission of all research grants applications that require statutory recommendation from the University.
The Directorate drives the strategic research objectives of the University which include to:
- Create a learning environment and research culture that nurtures and extols excellence and innovation in all fields of research for which the University has developed accredited faculties and specialized units;
- Identify, frequently review and accord utmost priority to key basic and applied research questions that bear crucial relevance to the immediate and long-term development needs and overall wellbeing of the Nigerian people
- Develop Centers of excellence for achieving focus, depth and rapid advancement in priority areas of research that address the leading health, social, ecological and economic development needs of Nigeria and sub-Saharan Africa.
- Attract high profile private and public sector endowments and funds for research development through rigorous commitment to best practices, need-driven and innovative research enterprise
- Direct more focus on Developmental Research objectives which is more amenable to uptake by the society
- Promote and enhance R & D pursuits within the University as a means of generating intellectual property and vendable innovations
To be an effective research management and coordinating center initiating activities and programmes that assist elevate research in University of Calabar to world-class status
Directorate of Research and Quality Assurance shall manage and coordinate research in the University of Calabar to ensure optimum research performance of both staff and students. Our Quality Assurance activities shall result in a truly certified graduate output equipped to meet the challenges of the world of work.
The Directorate welcomes mutually beneficial partnership opportunities that promote research and intellectual property generation and dissemination.